Tuesday 20 November 2007

Play Misty for me

Without wanting to sound like the opening line of a Blues standard...



I woke up this morning (da dah Dah dum), pottered about a bit to get my bearings and come to fully, dragged on my running gear - long sleeved wicking shirt, t-shirt & sweatshirt as an outer, sweat pants, gloves and hat. I stepped out into a misty, chilly - but not really cold, morning.



I wasn't too sure how I'd fare after my adventures with RRR and shin splints last week, but set off determined to give it a go.

After my 1/2 mile or so brisk walk as a warm up I set off at a comfortable pace, not concentrating too much on keeping my pace down, just going at what was comfortable and sustainable. By the time I had covered about 1K my shins were beginning to remind me that they were there at which point I dropped my pace a little.



Over the next 1K, I had to slow down to a walk a couple of times and experimented with pace and stride until I found a combination that although I was in a little discomfort wasn't getting any worse.



Once I'd settled on this pace, I was able to keep it up for the final 1K of my route, I found this comfortable in both the legs and breathing. My stride was approximately 1/2 -3/4 of my normal walking one, but the pace was approx 1.5 times higher.



All that remains is for me to start and continue at this pace and see how my shins react. It's not a record breaking pace, but over time I will be able to gently increase my it and stride as my legs become stronger and used to the work involved.



After completing my 3K run I did the same walk to cool down, and returned home to do my stretches in the warmth and light.



Only a 12 days until the fun run! Reading Roadrunners thingie tomorrow night, maybe another 3K on Thursday morning and then again Sunday.



Next Tuesday - depending upon how I fare this week, I will push my distance up to 4K.