Saturday 15 November 2008

All on my tod

Today, I was alone down the gym as Jumile is on call this weekend and needs
to stay within 20 feet of his TV - I mean PC ;). I didn't really want to go,
I suppose part of the reason for going is the social side, although we don't
talk much while in there, we say a few words before and after and it's
social contact of a sort.

But while there I gave it my all, didn't take it easier on myself or skip
anything, which is something I thought I might.

Due to the number of treadmills in use I started on the crosstrainer, did my
8 minutes, this time at a higher intensity than last week and moved on to
the treadmill and then the upright bike. I tend to chop and change between
the upright and recumbent bikes, I don't know why really, possibly because
it's (aside from the rowing machine) my least favourite torture device. In
all cases I increased the intensity of workout, and will do again in 2 weeks
time. Two weeks ago after finishing all this legwork I found that my legs
were a little jelly like, but today they were fine - so there's some
improvement.

Maybe next week Saturday I will add some time on the rower. My current - I
say current, it was drawn up before I went into hospital, exercise plan
includes a 1K row in there too. The 1K is a target to be reached, I'm
supposed to do as much as I can with the aim of reaching 1K regularly, and
once I have, to increase the intensity. The best I have achieved is about
700M. I have found with this that I'm more likely to 'go' further if I am
the only person using a rowing machine. If someone is using the machine next
to me, I tend to fall quite closely into line with their rhythm. I don't
know if this is a competitive thing or not, but I notice it but am not
conscious of doing so.

Anyway, after finishing the CV work, I moved onto some weight machines,
'seated row', leg press, shoulder press and one I don't know the name
of....did 3 sets of 12 on each, and in each case the middle set was a higher
- but only slightly, 5-10KG depending upon machine, weight. Next Saturday,
two sets will be of the higher weight - if I can manage it. This will go on
until I am pressing the weight of a small truck :)..seriously tho, I am not
using the gym to become a weightlifting nut, no-one wants to see me shaven,
oiled up and wearing a thong. With the exception of the leg press, the
weight work I am doing is aimed at the muscle groups used for archery. The
CV work is to assist in losing weight and improving my general fitness.

A few sit ups, ably assisted by a de-horned space hopper and some stretches
saw the session come to an end.

No comments: